Friday, September 5, 2008

Schooling

When I first arrived here, at SMU, i was wondering which ways I would be able to relate to those around me.  I felt as though i was coming from a completely different culture than that of Dallas, TX.  I thought that my looks and general thoughts would make it hard for me to meet new people and make friends.  When I moved into Boaz, i knew who my room mate was, in fact I knew him my entire life.  We were trying to figure out what we might have in common with the people in out hall.  What could we possibly have in common with these other people?  After we set up our room and got situated we decided to play a game of FIFA.  (For those who don't know, FIFA is a video game on X-Box 360 about soccer.  We started it up and opened the door to try and meet some of the people on our floor.  Soon enough our neighbors came flocking in.  It turns out that FIFA was a common ground that allowed myself to meet the people on our floor and get to know them better.
Every day we have FIFA matches in our room.  I feel that it was a great way to meet all of the people we know now.  Hopefully, FIFA will continue to be a common ground to meet people.  It's very comforting to meet people who share the same interests as myself, even in a completely different environment and culture than I am used to.  What has connected you to the people you have met?  Are there any special ways of meeting people that you might have?

No comments: